‘TWEEN
My body was rack with the searing pain of what felt like a thousand tiny razor cuts. It hurt even more when I moved , but I forced myself into a sitting position. I began inspecting my arms and legs. They were smudged with thick sticky black soot that reeked of sulfur. Even though, I felt like I had gone through a cheese grater there were no physical wounds. I looked up at Jake, who stood over me protectively, as he scanned the hostile rocky terrain for any sign of the little black dog.
He cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted, “Tink! Come!”
“Is that what you call her?” I asked.
Jake gestured at his own neck, “That’s the name on her collar.” He said.
I nodded.
We waited and called for Tink for quite sometime. Morning was on the horizon. The granite was cold and damp. I was uncomfortable and tried to stand up. My legs were rubbery and weak and wouldn’t hold my weight. I sat back down hard.
The quarry lake had always been a joyfully place it was unsettling to see it like this. With the water drained away it was dreary and dank. The strange landscape made me imagine the mythical passageway to the river Styx. Misty white vapor rose from small pools of water scattered throughout the empty lake bed. It was hard to believe that Tink, the dog had been agile enough to traverse the steep rocky slope. At the bottom of the quarry there was a huge dark cavern surrounded by tall jagged columns of stone. The columns and surrounding granite slabs were marred with cryptic symbols of various sizes and diverse cultures. Some looked Native American while others were definitely Egyptian hieroglyphics, but most were unfamiliar to me. The ominous columns cast shadows that gave the elusion of things moving between the rocks. From time to time we heard sounds coming from the pit. Some, like the shifting of loose gravel were easily explained, but there were sounds that came from deep inside the earth that were more troublesome. Moans and rumbles resonated from the stony depths. I couldn’t think of any living creature that made sounds like those. It gave me chills.
Teary eyed I asked, “What is this place?”
Jake was distracted with concern for the dog, but he answered, “Its a doorway.”
“No not just that, down there.” I made a gesture that encompassed everything. “All of this, this whole place.”
Jacob looked away from the chasm and focused his gaze on me. His usual carefree spark was replaced with stone cold sincerity.
“ This aint a place. Its ‘tween places,” he nodded toward the menacing cavern below and said, “and down there is a place you don’t wanna’ go. If you do you won’t come out.”
My heart skipped and I was consumed with worry for, Tink. I felt like Jake and I where sitting on the edge of malevolence. My fear was greater than any I had ever known. The air seemed to buzz with a powerful energy that was beyond my comprehension and it terrified me. However Jake stood strong and silent as he watched the opening to the dark cavern.
I looked up at Jake, “ Please, tell me she’s going to be okay.”
“ I don’t know.” Jake shook his head and sighed. “ I never seen the livin’ go into one of those places. “
“She’s not like you and me?” I asked.
“Nope.”
I sat in stunned silence. It was painfully obvious that my understanding of this new world was way off. I pulled my knees up to my chest and tightly closed my eyes. I tried to convince myself that the strange moans and howls from below were just the wind echoing in the cavern. I rocked back and forth and began chanting in my head.
Please, be okay. Please, be okay.
I didn’t open my eyes until I heard a metallic jingle. When I opened my eyes I sighed with relief as Tink hopped confidently from rock to rock steadily making her way up the incline. Jake and I clapped and call her to us. As she got closer Jake got to one knee.
“Come here, Tink. That’s a good girl .” He said with a beaming smile.
Tink was visibly tired, but she still waged her tail joyfully. Then, Jake noticed that she had something in her mouth. He held out his and Tink dropped a mysterious orb into his palm. It was a translucent aquamarine sphere. It looked like glass, but there were flecks of golden light at the center that flickered and danced like embers. I was captivated by its beauty. Without a word, Jake quickly slipped the orb into his pocket.
He grabbed Tink and hugged her, “Good girl.” he said as he patted her and scratched her behind the ears. “Its time fur you ta go home now.’ He told her.
Tink licked Jake’s face then scamper off.
Jake reached down and helped me to my feet. My legs were still weak but the pain had begun to subside.
“We need ta get outta here.” He said gravely.
“What was that thing you put in your pocket?” I asked.
“It aint nuthin’ but trouble.”
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment